Monday, November 17, 2008

Procrastinating on an Update

You know how when/if you sit down to write your annual Christmas letter, you find yourself only to writing all the perfect things that have happened or are about to happen in your family? Do you ever stop to think about all the other 'stuff' going on in your life that you would never dream of putting on paper and sending out in the mail? Interesting, isn't it?

I remember one year my Mom and I were joking about writing an annual 'Christmas Truth Letter'. One that said it like it was, without the shiny gloss that gets applied before it is mailed! We articulated each of our paragraphs and how it would really read if we shed our skin and was truly real. I love it. The truth, who we really are, what has really been going on in our lives despite it not being 'perfect' or 'pretty'... just whatever our reality happens to be - good or bad.

Well, that is probably the reason for my procrastination with updating our blog these past few weeks. I need to be real with our family and friends that read our blog and not appear 'fake' and just talk about all of the fun and wonderful moments that we have had, but also the truth about another very real event that has become a part of our life in the past few weeks. I want to start out by saying this has never been a secret or something that Mike, nor I, have been ashamed to talk to others about since he has made his decision. It is just that I realize we haven't got to each of you individually to share what it is that has been going on in our lives recently. Therefore, we apologize if this is the first time you are hearing this and it seems rather impersonal.

I am going to keep it very short and simple and tell you that Mike made the decision on his own a few of weeks ago to enter a 28-day in-patient treatment program for chemical (alcohol) dependency. He decided he was ready to be real with himself and real with others around him and do all that he can to feel better and more authentic in his life. This will come as quite a shock to most of you reading this, I am guessing. I want to let you know that Mike is doing great and to please keep him in your thoughts and prayers as he starts his final week on Wednesday and prepares to check out on next Tuesday, November 25th.

I cannot tell you how proud I am of him for having the courage to face this head on and be as proactive as he could in getting help for something that he felt has just taken ahold of him. We do not know what is to come, nor are we looking past the end of each day right now. It is important to take one day at a time for Mike, and the rest of our family.

So, while I know some things are extremely private in life, and some of you might feel this is one of those matters, Mike and I are embracing this truth and are not embarrased to share. This is our reality and in time, you would come to know it. Eventually, Mike will be able to tell his story as he wants and sees fit. In the meantime, being real is part of this journey for both of us.

Sincerely,
Amanda

No comments: