Saturday, September 5, 2009

LDW 2009

We planned, we plotted, we hoped, and we got a BEAUTIFUL LDW!

Mike and I decided we wanted to do a BIG family weekend for Labor Day.  We were due for our annual State Fair visit so that fell on the agenda easily.  We thought we should do another bigger-type event so we went with Como Zoo!  Then, we figured we might as well make a weekend out of being in the Cities, so we were going to stay overnight at a hotel and do the whole swimming thing with the kids. 

The State Fair was fun... OK... so I have to confess that outside of the artery-clogging food, I'm not much of a fan of wearing sandals and getting my feet full of dirt while persperating on a 95 degree day with a bunch of strangers who stand WAY to close to me and our kids.  Not to mention the stench in the 4H Barns... ug.  I think the only reason I show each year, anymore, is the fact that we know that the kids will find something fun or interesting.  KIDS!  They make you do all of the things you swear you hate or don't want to do and you LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT! 


We explored the Butterfly Exhibit, the 4H Barns (and didn't contract H1N1 to our knowledge), and Jack and Mike rode the carosel.  Well, I barely can say that since for some reason our child was opposed to riding on an actual horsey on the carosel and instead opted for the distinguished sleigh behind the horsey.  I just about died laughing! 



Then, we ate a quick lunch and decided we weren't going to stalk our favorite greasy foods this year... turned out that we had a much more enjoyable time.  We still grabbed a bucket of Miss Martha's cookies and some milk, but no cheese curds... that decision was a little sacreligious, I know!  The mild weather could've easily contributed to a favorable experience as well... the lack of calories is still the one I will go with, though!


I love, sometimes, when things take a turn unexpectedly and you find yourself with a new plan.  That's what happened when the Rollins Family invited us to forego a night in a hotel for a fun sleep over with the kids!  As always, they are such great hosts and we had a blast!  The kids are more and more adorable together every time we get together, naturally!  Four kids 3 and under in one house gets to be a little hectic between bath and bed, but once they were all down, we finally got a little adult time!  Amen!


 
Sunday, we met G&G Roeder at Como Zoo and had the time of our lives!  Again, great weather and great company!  We've decided we love Como WAY, WAY more than the MN Zoo.  No comparison!  We just strolled around checking out all of the animals, did a little lunch, and took in the Sparky the Sea Lion Show just before Jack crashed and burned!  Sophie, on the other hand, didn't quite make it.  She was in the deepest sleep in a long time and slept through the entire thing!  

We got the kids in the car and made haste to Rochester for a fun night and next day with G&G!  I really don't think they have been down to our house nearly all summer with all the New Ulm trips we've been making, so it was fun to just hang at Casa Roe.  Mike golfed and we fed the geese at Silver Lake... Grandpa's favorite pasttime with the kids!  


Monday after G&G left, the kids and I went to the park and got a great suprise!  A truck pulled onto the grassy knoll just behind the ball field and started unloading a hot air balloon... for real!  Now, for all those parents out there whose kids love Curious George as much as ours, you know that show when George and Will accidently take the hot air balloon up without The Man with the Yellow Hat and Mrs. Renken?  Well, this just made that show come full circle seeing one for real.  The kids flipped and watched it from start to finish!  A fun way to end a fun weekend!

No comments: